By Steve Baldwin
The recent sell out by Obama in which, for the first time ever, the U.S. refused to veto an anti-Israel U.N. resolution concerning Israeli settlements was just the tip of an iceberg. Indeed, while Obama pretended to be pro-Israel, he and his team of anti-Semitic middle eastern advisors did everything they could over the last 8 years to undermine Israel, clearly in an attempt to weaken them so that they would eventually be destroyed by their Islamic neighbors.
The propaganda campaign initiated by Obama to convince wealthy American Jews that he was pro-Israel was a masterpiece of deception but with a compliant media that refused to cover his multitude of anti-Israeli policies and actions, we should not be surprised that many Jews to this day think Obama was a supporter of Israel.
First, its needs to be made clear that both President Obama and his first Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, have long histories of associating with anti-Israel and anti-Semitic people and organizations. Obama has been associated with a large number of notorious anti-Semitic and anti-Israel activists such as Palestinian activists Rashid Khalid and Ali Abunimah, anti-Israel activist Bettylu Saltzman, his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, anti-Israel Rabbi Arnold Wolf, and the late notorious pro-PLO professor Edward Said, not to mention dozens of his own appointees — such as Chuck Hagel, Robert Malley, and Samantha Power—have long histories of anti-Israel actions and statements. These are not just acquaintances of Obama, but people he has been associated with for decades.
And Hillary Clinton is no different. Her closest advisor while Secretary of State was Sidney Blumenthal, a long-time Israel hater whose son, Max, is a professional anti-Israel hater and author; indeed his latest book was even attacked by liberals for being too anti-Israel but his father aggressively defended it. In 2010, private emails released by the State Department show Sidney Blumenthal urging Clinton to take a harder line on the Israel-Palestinian peace talks. What’s more troubling, however, are the emails showing the elder Blumenthal forwarding many of his son’s rabidly anti-Israel articles to Clinton, to which she responded with compliments such as “Pls congratulate Max for another impressive piece. He’s so good.”
- Israeli officials, both on and off the record, state that Obama and his two Secretaries of State (Clinton and Sen. John Kerry) have pursued the most anti-Israel foreign policy in history and have thus endangered Israel’s survival. According to Israel Today, officials close to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu described Obama in 2010 as a “strategic catastrophe” for Israel and a “serious threat to the future of the State of Israel.” They also said “President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have drawn a clear line, supporting the Palestinian position.” In 2012, Danny Danon, the Deputy Speaker of Israel’s Knesset said that “Obama’s victory demonstrates that the state of Israel must take care of its own interests….Obama has hurt the United States by his naïve leadership in foreign policy, which prefers the Arab world over the Western world, along with Israel.” This type of language from Israeli officials is unheard of in the past.
- Not only has Obama ordered Israel to not bomb Iran’s nuclear weapons facilities, but Obama reportedly threatened to shoot down any Israeli jets attempting to bomb Iran. For the first few years of the Obama presidency, Obama officials repeatedly told the media they were unsure if Iran was building the bomb, even though our intelligence agencies knew it was occurring. Then, once Iran’s bomb making program became more advanced, the Obama administration warned Israel to not bomb them, claiming more time was needed for sanctions to work and that they “could be undone if [Iran] was attacked prematurely.”
By 2014, Iran’s program was at a turning point and Israel reportedly decided they had to bomb Iran’s facilities or else end up being threatened perpetually by Iran, but Obama saved Iran again by threatening to shoot down Israel’s jets, according to a Kuwaiti newspaper story based on a conversation with an Israeli minister. Of course, this is denied by Obama. Then, the Obama government negotiated the nuclear accord with Iran, which gives official recognition to its nuclear weapons program while still allowing nuclear weapons to be developed. As a result, it is now nearly impossible for Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear weapons facilities due to the political and diplomatic fall-out that would likely occur. Obama essentially used his eight years of office to protect the Iranian nuclear weapons program from its early stages to the point at which it may be impossible to stop. Once again, Obama has asserted himself to be the protector of Muslims at America’s expense. Indeed, for the first time ever, a radical Islamist country dedicated to the destruction of Israel and the U.S. will have a nuclear bomb in just a few years.
- The Obama Administration leaked Israeli military secrets in order to prevent them from even considering bombing Iran’s nuclear facilities. Obama officials started to leak top secrets in order to embarrass Israel and expose its plans to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power. Obama officials leaked a story that Israel’s spy agency, the Moussad, assassinated some of Iran’s nuclear scientists in the hopes of slowing down its nuclear weapons program. Info about a covert deal was leaked in which Saudi Arabia would allow Israel to use its airspace to attack Iran. It was also leaked that Azerbaijan offered Israel use of an airbase to attack Iran and finally it was leaked that the Israelis are funding and training the Iranian opposition group Mujahideen-e-Khalq (MEK). The purpose of these leaks is to prepare Iran to detect any possible Israeli air strikes so that Iran will continue to be a nuclear power in the Middle East.
- Obama ordered the surveillance of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu because he feared Israel was planning to bomb Iran to stop its nuclear weapons program. Naturally, Israel has considered this option since, after all, Iran has repeatedly called for Israel’s destruction and Israel has every right to preempt Iran. But instead of working to stop Iran from further developing its nuclear weapons program, Obama has ordered the NSA to monitor Netanyahu, which may be a first for the U.S. According the Wall Street Journal, Obama has shut down spying on most American allies, but not Israel.
- While Obama and Secretaries Clinton and Kerry have helped Iran become a nuclear power, they have simultaneously undermined Israel’s nuclear program by banning its scientists from U.S. universities and exposing details of its nuclear program. The U.S. has always kept what it knows about Israel’s nuclear weapons program secret—until now. After all, Israel is the leading target worldwide of Islamic terror and without nuclear weapons for self defense, it would have been destroyed by now. In 2015, Obama’s Pentagon declassified a 1987 report on Israel’s nuclear weapons program. As Israel National News wrote, Israel’s nuclear program was “a highly covert topic that Israel has never formally announced to avoid a regional nuclear arms race, and which the U.S. until now has respected by remaining silent.” Moreover, Israel Today reported that not only has Obama refused to give visas to Israeli nuclear scientists to attend American universities but have placed an unofficial embargo on parts needed for Israel’s nuclear reactor. Obama’s obsession with embarrassing Israel may have contributed to a Middle East Arms race.
But hostility toward Israel’s nuclear weapons program dates back to the beginning of the Obama presidency. In 2010, Obama and Secretary Clinton hosted a nuclear security summit in Washington DC, but Israel refused to attend because Netanyahu “didn’t want another lecture by Hillary” nor did he want to listen to endless attacks on Israel by radical Islamic regimes such as Turkey. Once again, the Obama administration allows events they control to be turned into anti-Israel propaganda events by radical Islamic regimes. Meanwhile, the Obama administration has done everything possible to help Iran become a nuclear power.
- The State Department under Secretary Clinton excluded Israel from its “Global Counter-Terrorism Forum (GCT)” even though Israel is the world’s leading target of terrorism. The Global Counter-terrorism Forum is the brainchild of the Obama administration and is supposed to be a forum whereby countries around the world can discuss the terror threat. However, not only did Clinton exclude Israel, she also invited Islamic countries who support terrorism such as Turkey, and, at the time, Egypt. Indeed, the GCT was actually co-chaired by Turkey, which finances the Hamas terrorist group and has been funding ISIS by buying looted Iraqi oil from them. In her opening comments at the Forum, Clinton named many terrorist groups and movements, but she did not mention Hamas or any terror attacks on Israel. It was as if Israel did not exist.
It has been reported that the U.S. excluded Israel to appease Turkey, whose leader is close to Obama despite his extreme anti-Israel actions. As the Washington Times reports, “Snubbing Israel in order to make friends with the Muslim world is not only a mistake, it is dangerous. By capitulating to Islamist demands to exclude Israel in global counter-terrorism efforts, refusing to define terrorist conduct, and precluding the use of Israel’s expertise in defeating it, the Obama administration puts freedom at risk worldwide.“ Clearly, the forum was apparently a PR stunt to make it appear as if Secretary Clinton was actually doing something to counter terrorism.
- The U.S., led by Secretary John Kerry, abandoned Israel within the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC). The UNHRC is a U.N. committee run by some of the world’s worst human rights abusers such as Cuba, Congo, and a slew of fundamental Islamic regimes that don’t even grant basic rights to its citizens such as freedom of religion. Nevertheless, the U.S. has always used its UNHRC membership to stop anti-Israel resolutions, which seem to be the main reason it exists. While the UNHRC constantly attacks Israel’s human rights record – the only democracy in the Middle East – it remains silent regarding the lack of any human rights in countries such as Iran. In 2015, the U.S. for the first time ever, did NOT take to the floor at a UNHRC session to defend Israel against outrageous allegations by “Palestinian” terrorist groups. Once again, the Obama Administration took the side of radical Islamic regimes. Israel is the ONLY country whose human rights record is discussed at every UNHRC session.
- When Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu visited Washington D.C. to give his historic speech to Congress in 2015, the White House would not meet with him. Obama was outraged by the speech, simply because Netanyahu was giving facts about Iran’s nuclear program that his administration was keeping from the American people. Obama’s excuse for not meeting with Netanyahu was because, “We do not see heads of state or candidates in close proximity to their election” so as to “avoid the appearance of influencing a democratic election in a foreign country.” But that excuse, it is now known, was false as it has been revealed that the Obama administration was, at the time, meddling in Netanyahu’s reelection and only a few weeks earlier had sent Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of State John Kerry to quietly meet with Netanyahu’s opponent, Isaac Herzog.
- Obama and his Secretaries of State constantly attack Israel for stalling the Israeli-Palestinian peace process but promote terms and use language that make it impossible for Israel to agree to the creation of a Palestinian state. Obama, Clinton and Kerry constantly define the Israeli-Arab crisis using “moral equivalency” terms, as if both sides are responsible for Islamic terror attacks upon Israel. When Israel was created by the UN after WW11, it was mostly a barren desert completely surrounded by Islamic enemies that did not recognize its right to exist. But Jews have lived in the Palestine area since biblical days whereas most Arab citizens are descendants of those who migrated there in the 1920’s from Egypt, Yemen, Syria, etc. to seek jobs created by the native Jews in what was then called the British Mandate of Palestine. This is why the “Palestinian” label used by Obama and the international left is essentially a phony label since Arabs have less of a legit claim to this label than do the Jews. Indeed, some of the most prominent “Palestinian” leaders, such as the late PLO leader Yasser Arafat, are Egyptian born.
Indeed, Obama and his State Department have endorsed the Palestinian demand that “the borders of Israel and Palestine should be based on the 1967 lines with mutually agreed swaps, so that secure and recognized borders are established for both states.” Obama is referring to the border before the 1967 war, a proposal which leaves Israel only nine miles wide and are “indefensible” as it would leave most Israeli cities open to rocket attacks. Nor does the proposal force the Palestinians to recognize Israel. Secretary Clinton also supported the same borders: “We [support]…the Palestinian goal of an independent and viable state, based on the 1967 lines, with agreed swaps.”
After all, it would be useless to go forward in a peace process unless the Palestinians recognized Israel. Otherwise, Israel would end up with a hostile terrorist state on its border committed to its destruction. But incredibly, the Obama administration has insisted that “there is no need for Palestinian Authority (PA) to recognize Israel as a Jewish state as part of a peace agreement.” Israel obviously does not hold that view so it appears the Obama/Clinton/Kerry team have been arguing the Palestinian side even since Obama’s election; no wonder there’s never been any peace or any treaty. The obstacle to an Israel/Palestinian treaty is not Israel, but the Obama administration. Not surprisingly, Obama and Secretaries Clinton and Kerry have always blamed Israel for the breakdown in peace talks, never the Palestinians.
Nor will there ever be a treaty as long as America’s leaders use the language of Israel’s enemies. For example, Obama constantly uses the word “occupation” to describe land Israel has come to possess to prevent rocket attacks. Secretary Clinton, in her book Hard Choices, refers to Israel as an “occupying force” and calls Gaza and the West Bank “occupied territories.” Her book, in general, sounds like it was written by Hamas: “I’m not making excuse for the missed opportunities of the Israelis, or the lack of generosity, the lack of empathy that I think goes hand-in-hand with the suspicion, So, yes, there is more that the Israelis need to do to really demonstrate that they do understand the pain of an oppress people in their minds, and they want to figure out, within the bounds of security and a Jewish democratic state, what can be accomplished.” Bear in mind that the “oppressed” Arabs constitute 21% of Israel’s population and have all the rights of Israelis: voting rights, free speech, free press, etc. Arabs within Israel have more rights and freedom than they would in most Arab counties. In fact, Israel is one of the few countries in the Middle East where women – both Arab and Jewish — are allowed to vote.
Secretary of State Kerry says that Israel is becoming an “apartheid” state. Such language by U.S. officials gives credibility to the radical Islamic ideology which is, at heart, anti-Semitic, anti-Western and will always be opposed to Israel.
Obama has even said because Israel is “stalling” the peace process, it will be difficult for him to continue defending Israel within the U.N. But no such threat has ever been directed toward the Palestinians. Obama commonly utters inane phrases such as telling Israel to “search your souls” and “engage in serious self-reflection” but says nothing of the sort to the Palestinians. Obama says that “You [Israel] have to recognize that they have legitimate claims, and this is their land and neighborhood as well.” But the Arabs are not entitled to any of Israel’s land created by the U.N. in the aftermath of World War 11, and any contiguous land held by Israel today was “no-mans” land previously occupied by Jordan, but not owned by them. When Jordan used this land in the West Bank area to illegally attack Israel, they lost legal control of it. Nevertheless, Obama’s main goal has been to make the world believe that the burden is upon Israel to make peace and not upon the Islamic terrorists who portray themselves as phony “Palestinians.”
- Obama secretly pursued a U.N. Security Council Resolution that unilaterally gave the Palestinians a state without any Israeli input. DEBKA File, the respected intelligence journal, reported that a number of countries led by France were preparing a U.N. Security Council resolution that recognized the Palestinian state. The plan was to have it voted on by the entire U.N. and essentially forced down Israel’s throat. The only way a resolution like this would pass is with the consent and support of the Obama administration and the Debka file reported that Obama did indeed give the green light to Israel’s opponents to proceed with the resolution. Indeed, DEBKA reported that U.S. officials even met with French officials to plot the U.N. strategy. This would be contrary to long standing bi-partisan American policy to defend Israel from its enemies at the U.N. and to only support a solution that both Israel and the Palestinians would agree to.
The proposal, it is said, would push Israel back to its pre June, 1967 lines, which leaves Israel completely vulnerable to attack. East Jerusalem would be given to the Palestinians but nothing is being demanded of the Palestinians in return except maybe an unenforceable promise to stop their terrorist attacks on Israel. Nor will the Palestinians have to recognize Israel. As Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas states, “We shall never agree to recognize the Jewish state.” Once the U.N. recognizes a Palestinian state, then Islamic regimes and terrorists would be empowered to attack Israel without legal repercussions
- The Obama Administration and Secretary Kerry illegally intervened in the reelection of Benjamin Netanyahu’s election by funneling State Department grants to opposition groups. Obama’s State Department gave $350,000 to a group called “One Voice” for originally doing work to support “peace negotiation between Israel and Palestine,” However, there were funds left over and the group than used its infrastructure to organized against the reelection of Netanyahu. They contracted out a group called “V15,” which in turned hired five campaign experts from the U.S., including Obama’s crack field director from his last presidential campaign. An investigation by the U.S. Senate found that the “State Department failed to adequately guard against the risk that resources built with government grants would be deployed for political purposes.” As with most investigations of Obama scandals, emails documenting the election activity were destroyed. Once, again, the Obama administration illegally does whatever it wants to do.
- In 2014, the Hamas terrorist group that controls Gaza initiated multiple attacks on Israel, using both rockets and tunnels, but Obama’s reaction was to call for a “cease-fire.” In 2005, Israel unilaterally withdrew from Gaza, forcibly uprooting 8,500 Jewish settlers, leaving the Palestinians free to form its own government in Gaza which came to be controlled by the Hamas terrorist group. However, instead of focusing on governing, Hamas used its control of Gaza to launch assaults on Israel using rockets and an underground network of tunnels to infiltrate terrorists into Israel. But instead of urging Israel to use this opportunity to crush the Hamas terrorists, Obama demanded that Israel agree to a cease fire even though Hamas never abides by cease-fires. In Obama’s view, it is improper for Israel to defend themselves from Islamic terror attacks. Once again, Obama took the Palestinian side. As a side note, Obama illegally received over $30,000 in campaign donations from Gaza during his 2008 campaign for president.
- After Netanyahu’s victory, the White House had a tantrum and White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough gave a speech in which he declared that “an occupation that has lasted for almost 50 years must end.” He was referring to Israel’s control of the West Bank, a necessity due to how Islamic terrorists have used the West Bank to initiate terror attacks on Israel. McDonough also said that Israel’s “borders should be based on the 1967 lines, and robust provisions that safeguard Israel’s security.” Again, a return to the 1967 lines will lead to Israel’s destruction. Either the Obama Administration doesn’t understand this or does not seem to care.
- Obama and Secretaries Clinton and Kerry used the phony “settlements” issue to whip up opposition to Israel in an effort to force them to give up more land and thus give radical Islamists the ability to destroy Israel. The central problem is that whenever Israel gives up disputed land, it is used by Islamists to launch attacks on Israel. Nevertheless, Obama, beginning in 2009, has constantly attacked Israel for its “settlements.” This, despite the fact that over the last decade Israel has already uprooted thousands of settlers from their homes in Gaza and the West Bank and vacated entire cities in Judea and Samaria. In return, more terrorist rockets came raining down upon them. Nevertheless, Secretary Clinton was the point person from 2009-2013 in opposing all settlements: “And I was often the designated yeller. Something would happen, a new settlement announcement would come and I would call him [Netanahuya] up, ‘what are you doing, you’ve got to stop this.’”
However, oftentimes, these settlements were not out in the middle of some disputed isolated territory but rather Clinton was referring to new home construction in areas long inhabited by Jews and owned by Israel ever since the 1967 war when Israel was attacked by its Arab neighbors. This land was “no-mans” land that no one owned before 1967. Likewise, when Obama announced that “The United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued Israeli settlements” he was referring to home construction in East Jerusalem, home construction which has been occurring in the suburbs of Jerusalem since 1967. As Netanyahu told Obama: “Jerusalem is NOT a settlement; Jerusalem is the capital of the state of Israel.”
Nevertheless, Secretary Clinton berated Prime Minister Netanyahu in a 45 minute phone call telling him that the “settlements” had “harmed the bilateral relationship” and then she joined the rest of the world in condemning Israel. No American administration before Obama has ever called for stopping home construction in areas Israel now owns, nor do they have the right to do so. As the Wall Street Journal editorialized, “All Israel has done is insist that Jews have a right to live anywhere in their capital city…Mr. Obama’s public endorsement of the Palestinian view of what constitutes a settlement only puts the negotiated peace he seeks further out of reach.”
- Obama, Secretary Clinton and Secretary Kerry lied to Congress in order to provide funding for the Palestinian Authority (PA), which is controlled by Hamas, a terrorist group. Each year Obama has been in power, his administration has been required to obtain waivers of congressional restrictions in order to give, on average, $500 million to the Palestinian Authority (PA). It is illegal to allocate money to terrorist groups but nevertheless, the PA funds terror activities dedicated to the destruction of Israel. Indeed, the PA’s leader, Mahmoud Abbas, not only “welcomes every drop of blood spilled” attacking Israel, but actually pays the families of “martyrs” who kill themselves in anti-Israel terror acts. Moreover, Hamas controls the PA and is actually listed as a terrorist group by the State Department.
In order to allocate U.S. tax dollars to the PA, Obama’s State Department has had to prepare a false report every year from 2009 to the present – to Congress — verifying the PA’s commitment to non-violence. For example, Secretary Clinton submitted a report to Congress in 2011 which stated that “PA President Mahmoud Abbas consistently reiterated [his] commitment to nonviolence.” Palestinians are not taxed so Obama apparently feels obligated to use American tax dollars to fund the PA’s budget.
- Obama and Secretaries Clinton and Kerry have given credibility to the Palestinian Authority (PA), and to its aligned terrorist groups Hamas and Fatah, even though they refuse to recognize Israel’s right to exist. Led by President Mahmoud Abbas, the PA brainwashes Arab school children to hate Israel, calls for the destruction of Israel, and pays the salaries of imprisoned terrorists. Abbas even advocates terror acts against Israel as when he states, “Each drop of blood that was spilled in Jerusalem is pure blood as long as it’s for the sake of Allah. Every Martyr will be in heaven….” Incredibly, Obama refers to Abbas as “somebody who has been committed to nonviolence” and claims he is “prepared to negotiate seriously.” Nevertheless, Obama supports the PA and has warned Israel to “make peace” soon or they will be “more isolated internationally.” No such warnings were issued to the Palestinians even though Abbas stated “We shall never agree to recognize the Jewish State.” In 2014, when the Palestinians formed a “Government of National Unity,” uniting both the Hamas and Fatah terrorist groups, the U.S. State Department, under Secretary Kerry, quickly declared its willingness to work with it.
- Secretary Clinton supported the UN Security Council statement that condemned “acts” by Israel for stopping and searching a phony “humanitarian” flotilla that had armed activists aboard. The “flotilla” was organized by a radical Islamic group that attempted to bypass the Israeli naval blockade along the Gaza coast. It was falsely claimed that its cargo was full of humanitarian supplies, but when Israeli commanders unloaded the boats, they found ammunition and weapons intended for the Hamas terrorist group. This is precisely why Israel had a blockade in effect.
Despite Israeli warnings the ships would be searched – as all ships were – the ships refused to comply. When Israeli commandos boarded one ship, they were shot, stabbed and attacked with clubs. Nine Flotilla members were killed and 7 Israeli soldiers injured. It was clearly a propaganda stunt but the U.S. abandoned Israel and voted with U.N.’s Security Council to condemn what happened. There was no criticism of the phony “humanitarian” activists who provoked Israel. Flotilla members, incidentally, were armed and wore bullet proof vests and night vision masks. The U.S. could have stopped the U.N. resolution since all U.N. Security Council resolutions require unanimity. Once again, the Obama Administration sided with countries who want to destroy Israel.
Obama then demanded that Israel give an account as to what had happened but there were no such inquiries about the terrorists behind the flotilla. This kind of reaction by the Obama Administration sent a sign to Israel’s enemies to continue its attacks on Israel and to launch more “flotillas.”
- The Obama administration and its State Department continue to find ways to undermine or demean Israel as part of an administration-wide effort. When Congressional oversight committees investigated the IRS for purposely denying the granting of tax exempt status to Tea Party groups, they also discovered that groups supporting Israel were also being denied tax exempt status. Such an illegal policy had to originate from the White House. Secondly, the State Department, for the first time ever, allowed the PLO office in Washington DC to fly the Palestinian flag and assume the diplomatic title of “delegation” even though Palestine is not a legal state. Third, Obama’s Customs and Border Protection Service has joined the EU in requiring that all West Bank products crossing the U.S. border cannot be marked “Israel” or be subject to “enforcement actions.” Instead, such products will have to be labeled as coming from a “settlement” in the West Bank territory since, as State Department spokesman Mark Toner said, “We do not consider settlements to be part of Israel.” It is clear that Obama’s hostility to Israel permeates his entire government.
- Obama’s State Department under Secretary Kerry Refuses to Renew Emergency Oil Supply Pact with Israel. For 40 years, the U.S. has had an agreement with Israel by which it guarantees a supply of oil to Israel in times of emergency, such as when they’re attacked by Islamic nations or when its sea lanes are blockaded by Islamic countries. The agreement expired in 2014 and everyone expected it to be renewed. It wasn’t. There is no logical reason for not renewing this agreement unless Obama simply doesn’t care about Israel’s survival.
- Jerusalem is the capital of Israel but the Obama Administration wants to give half of it to the Palestinians. The Palestinians are demanding that half of Jerusalem be given to a new Palestinian state, so that has also become the view of the Obama administration. However, both Obama and Clinton held different views on Jerusalem while campaigning for presidency in 2008. Obama, in a 2008 AIPAC speech, said he supported Jerusalem as Israel’s undivided capital, but quickly reversed days later, stating the issue must be “negotiated” with the Palestinians. Likewise, Clinton issued a campaign paper in which it declared Israel has a “right to exist in safety as a Jewish state, with defensive borders and an undivided Jerusalem as its capital….” Today, however, Clinton now toes the Palestinian line in saying that the status of Israel “is an issue to be settled at the negotiating table.” Contrary to popular mythology, Jerusalem holds no particular scared status for Muslims. Indeed, Jerusalem is mentioned in the Bible 600 times and not once in the Koran, so historically, the Jewish people have far more substantial historical and religious claims to Jerusalem. However, the Obama administration treats Jerusalem as a separate country in order to appease the Palestinians. When Clinton’s State Department issued a press release in 2011 about the State Department’s #2 official, James Steinberg, visiting Israel, it said Steinberg would be visiting “Israel, Jerusalem, and the West Bank,” as if Jerusalem were separate from Israel. In 2012, State Department official Victoria Nuland refused to say that Jerusalem, Israel’s capital since 1967, was even a part of Israel, saying “it’s got to be resolved through negotiations between the parties.” At a 2012 press briefing, White House Spokesman Jay Carney refused to identify which city is the capital of Israel. Moreover, the Obama administration argued before the Supreme Court in opposition to a 2002 law passed by Congress that permitted Americans born in Jerusalem to list Israel as their official birthplace on U.S. passports. The court ruled in favor of Obama, allowing his administration to prevent Americans born in Jerusalem to list Israel as their birthplace. Strangely, this position was also supported by the Bush Administration.
Steve Baldwin is a 35-year veteran of the conservative movement. He is the author of From Crayons to Condoms, the former executive director of Young Americans for Freedom, the former executive director of the Council for National Policy and a former California state legislator.